Thursday, April 19, 2007

Tragedy Anonymous

Yesterday 198 people were murdered and over 500 injured by terrorist bombs in Baghdad. 3 American soldiers also were killed.
I'm looking at all the news channels and I can't find out who killed these people or who the dead are.
The information coming out of the Virginia Tech murders is pretty comprehensive.
I'd like to see the same resources and results in reporting from Baghdad.
We (American people - voters) need more information.
I often get the impression from our own news organizations that if the dead people were not American then their deaths are not important, and certainly not newsworthy. Something's not right about that.
I thought we were trying to help these people. Maybe if we acted like we really cared about them, even just by paying attention, it would help us find the right path.

1 comment:

Snake Nation said...

I thought the same thing last night while watching CNN. Round the clock coverage of the VA Tech tragedy, and the mention of nearly 200 people killed in Iraq was an afterthought mentioned "in other news". What bothers me the most is not that the media is focused on covering the tragedy here - but the bulk of the HOUR after HOUR of coverage I saw last night was focused, almost entirely, on the video/photos sent to NBC by the murderer. Free air time for the rants of someone who clearly was disturbed, and clearly wanted some sort of attention. And the media is giving him exactly that.